Monday, October 26, 2009

Take the Day off (Moms Too)

This post is inspired by Small Notebook, a blog for a simple home. If you are a stay at home mom her post might fit your needs better.

Both my husband and I work outside of the home. I work about 40 hours a week in 5 days, and he works 4days at 10 to 12 hours. We are able to drop off and pick up our daughter at school, but we drive 20 min to my sister's house for my son. We both work weekends. My schedule is on a 3 week rotation, but changes all the time do to the hectic retail environment.

Since I get 2 days off a week, I spend the first day off trying to organize the week, getting work clothes ready, menu planning, communicating, and cleaning. The second day off would be my "rest day." I don't sit in my PJ's watching TV on a "rest day" since I have kids and I like to get them out to do all the great things our city has to offer. This is a day off from being a responsible adult for the most part.

Organizing the week: I let everyone know my work schedule, any activities the children have coming up, and figuring out if I will need anyone's help with anything that week.

Clothes for work: I will iron and put all outfits together in my closet.

Menu planning: I will look thru blogs for ideas, look at my schedule for when I work nights that week, and check my food supply.

Communicating: Make list and add to the calender the menu plan and activities for the week. I text my sister my schedule so she will be prepared for the kids, ask my mom when she will be in town.

Cleaning: Tidy up and dishes we try to do everyday. Laundry gets washed thruout the week, and I put it away on my day off. I only vaccum the whole floor on my day off and spot clean as needed. I try to clean the kids toy basement once a month since that is always a wreck (any ideas for motivating a 2 and 6 year old I am all ears!). I clean the bathrooms and the bedrooms on my day off. Having all the toys in the basement means it is only books and clothes to clean up in the rooms, and sweeping the floors. I do bedding once a month and as needed. If I can get anything done during the other days of course I do them, but usually don't get too much done.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a great plan! Very organized approach to having a balance between work and rest.

    ReplyDelete