Saturday, June 26, 2010

Food for Thought: Power Outage

Here is the problem with technology: it is about as reliable as a person. I woke up this morning with no power. I wasn't sure if it was just me or if it was the neighborhood. I threw away my phone books because I never used them and they took up space. I figured I would just look up the number on the Internet if needed or through my GPS. So I don't happen to have the electric company's number memorized since remembering things isn't really my thing. I couldn't look on any bills because I have e-bills, and with no electricity there is no modem and no Internet. The electricity didn't take too long to come back on so I didn't check my GPS for a number. I don't know if I could of counted on the GPS anyways since it relies on satellite and the rain and thunder bring a lot of blocking clouds. This just brings about a lesson to have utility and emergency numbers posted on the fridge. I also only have a cell phone for a phone, but thinking about those phones that run through the Internet, those wouldn't be to helpful in a lot of emergency situations either.

No comments:

Post a Comment