Friday, May 2, 2014

April Unexpected Expenses


I have been enjoying going to the bank when my first big paycheck is direct deposited for the month. I get to go in and take out a big fistful of cash to fill all my envelopes. In April I decided I would combine my gas and my fun money. This did not work! I had the gas light come on the day before I got paid, and had no money left. I ended up filling up my tank and took out less cash for this May. I then made sure to put that money in an envelope in the safe until my gas gauge gets lower. Some other fails in April for us:
* My husband's cell phone stopped charging, so he spend $200 on a new iphone 5s and OtterBox cover ( This did not make me happy, I though $100 should have covered this, plus every time he gets a new phone Sprint seems to have a new fee to add to the plan)
*We did go out to eat, just us two at a restaurant
*I bought Dave's book for less than $14 off of Amazon.com. I paid cash but I was over my mad money at this point.

I was so hungry this month! Stress of so many things always going on at once, crazy hours and two jobs makes me want to eat all the time, but I don't feel like cooking. I'm glad my husband has really been stepping up to cook most night.

I also keep tweaking our sinking funds, and some months we add in items. In May we budgeted $20 for each of our Mothers. In June we will only need $20 for my dad, since my husband's father passed away before he was born. I have a friend's daughters birthday party which I plan on paying for gift out of my mad money. 

I am still fighting at times with my husband, esp after the cell phone. He keeps saying he should be able to spend "his money". We still have separate bank account, but I do have the information for his account and I will look at it at times. He has a variable income each week, but we only budget for a low amount for him to pay towards debt. For the most part before we started this Dave Ramsey plan he would keep a lot of extra money in his account, even if he had a balance on a credit card. I think he is having a really problem with how low his bank account gets at times. I just try and remind him, that he should know how much he needs if he is sticking to the plan and not pulling out money or using the ATM card off budget. This month I had a balance of $.64 in my account before payday! I wasn't worried because I don't use my ATM card much and I know what money is coming and going.

We also paid for baseball picture. I thought they would only be $15, but they were $25. We also got a lot of money back since we switched insurance companies. My husband paid his car tags. I find it weird that his car is one year older but the tags cost more, but it must be a heavy car or something.

May/June we have a lot going on again: baseball games will continue and I would love to buy more training supplies, but have been resisting. I have a run at the end of May: I have bought a shirt ($10) to decorate and socks ($14) to wear, plus splitting  a hotel with my sisters ($20/each). I also want to buy t-shirts to benefit a charity (3 x$15) in May. June we will go out of town for a graduation party, and stay in a hotel, which was $114 for two nights. Baseball and going out of town is also costing my pay from my second job. The debt snowball is still going strong though, and we are ahead of my projections so far.

found on pinterest.com (link wasn't good)

No comments:

Post a Comment