Monday, April 30, 2012

Stay Away

I'm writing this post, sitting here waiting for my son's school to get out. I'm 45 minutes early. Walmart, Kmart, and Hy-vee are close by, but I choose not to go. I really thought about going and getting some points for shop kick or check point, but I don't like to go shopping when I don't feel like I have money to buy things. I did go and return the Kirby attachment I bought ($26.50), but then I also got a mirror cleaning cloth for $8.47 and I spent $5.12 at the bread store. I guess I'm still ahead for the week.
It seems every time I get an estimate for any home repair to be done, it's a real downer. I had someone come out to redo the hardwood floors, cost: $906. I guess I was thinking it was going to be more like $500. That I could handle. It is what it is, I guess. Everyone wants to get paid at the end of the day.
When I feel like this, I always think back to my college days. I was able to pay rent and bills with part time jobs while going to school. My family was ten hours away, I did what I wanted but was still responsible for the most part. It was a very nice life. But, alas, all good things have to come to an end. Not that I'm not happy with where I'm at now. It's just that things get harder when you have kids to take care of. They depend on you to get your shit together. You can't not make dinner because it just isn't you who goes hungry. A big chuck of money now goes to a house with a yard in a safe neighborhood, instead of renting a low income apt in a so-so neighborhood so you can afford your shopping addiction. I'm not saying I'm living like a pauper, but it might be nice to go to Starbucks once a week, but instead I'm buying ice cream boxes (generic) at the grocery store so the whole family has something to enjoy. But I always try to remember what my father tells me "It will get better."

No comments:

Post a Comment