Thursday, October 3, 2013

Shaping Up

I have been tracking my steps for the day with my phone, but I need to try to keep my phone on me more often. As I run around to get the kids to school I haven't been wearing it which could be 250-500 steps. My goal is 7,000 a day which is tough for someone who works a desk job. I have a lunch break and besides that I only walk to the bathroom, the break room for water, and every once in awhile to the copy machine. I have been trying to get up and talk to co-workers instead of IM or emailing, but I don't do that too often either. Wednesday I really wanted to do my best, and I am proud of the results. I started off the morning with a fitness routine found on Pinterest:

Source
I was able to get all the way to 20 squats. I had to look up what leg lifts even were, turns out they are really hard ab exercises. At lunch, I ate my sandwich at my desk and took 20 min to walk outside. It was a gorgeous day. It didn't help with the afternoon slump, but I'm glad I did it.


When I got home I knew I really needed to run today if I was going to do it 3 times this week. I mowed the front yard and then went for my 3+ mile run. I was tracking my steps and on run keeper until my phone died about a block from my house. I ended up logging 11,679 steps today, but I know it was more than that. I'm going to look into a pedometer or one of the new fitness gadget hoping to stay motivated. 10,000 steps a day is approximately 5 miles for the average person, so if I walk a mile that is 2,000 steps. Seems doable if I put my mind to it. My biggest worry is the Midwest winter will be here before I know it, do I have the guts to run outside in the cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment