Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Final Update- 29 Day Organizing Challenge


Here is my last post in my participation of Laura's 29 Day Organizational Challenge.  It was well worth my efforts and I can't wait to start on my next project, which is TBD.

1. What space did you decide to organize and why?
I organized my extra bedroom in my basement.  I would use this room to throw all the things I didn't want to deal with right away.  Instead of dealing with things I would throw them in here.  When I would clean the house, anything I didn't know what to do with, went in here.  It go bad.  I wanted a space that I could have that was all mine with all my stuff, because I really don't like people touching my stuff.
2.  What steps did you take to ensure you completed the space within the 29 day timeline?
I worked on it as much as I could especially in the beginning.  At one point I was feeling overwhelmed, and that I wasn't getting anywhere.  I decided to more things around, which took a lot of work because it was still a mess, and moved things to where they would be in the end.  I liked to pile the items I wanted to deal with either on the bed or on my extra table and sort them off of there into piles.
3.  What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and how did you overcome it?
The hardest part was sorting through all the papers: kids papers, tax papers, art work, my old college work, scrapbook paper, etc.  I don't think I let go of a lot of things I should have gotten rid of but I am thinking of this as a work in progress.  I knew I wasn't going to go in here and be able to throw it all out.  I figure if I throw some out here and there and use the one in one out theory, things won't get back to chaos.
4. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
I threw out and recycled a lot of garbage.  Some things were just put back to where they needed to be, like holiday decorations.  I have a huge pile of items I am going to donate to Goodwill and sell at a rummage sale.
5.  Tell me one of your proudest moments during this challenge?
My proudest moment was after I cleared out the clutter, and had things put where I wanted them.  I was sitting down there working on my blog, and I sat there thinking "I can now find a roll of tape in 5 seconds!"
6.  Explain any organizing “tools” you used to help you create additional space and to establish some limits and boundaries?
I used Orgjunkie's PROCESS.  If it wasn't going to fit in the space I designated for that group of items that some more items had to go to make room.  I know now that I was able to get rid of some items, it will encourage me to get rid of more in the future, because I don't miss things I get rid of anyways.
7.  What is ONE piece of advice you’d give to someone else to encourage them on their organizational journey?
First you have to find what motivated you.  It's just like anything else in your life and you need to find the motivation to do it.  Will it be a blog challenge?  An upcoming party at your house?  Someone breaking their leg over your junk?  Next, find the time.  Ask your husband to do the dishes so you can clean for 15 minutes.  Ask your sister to watch your kids on Saturday, so you can clean for a good 4 or more hours.  (You could always repay her the favor later., maybe she has unfinished task she needs help with.)  Make sure you share your progress with other, get some positive feedback form positive people and keep working.  Your life, your body, your household is a work in progress.

Now for the before and after:

It may not perfect, and I wouldn't say it is 100% done.  I read a lot of blogs when people redid a room, only to change it again latter because they found something that works better.  I still have that pile of items to go through but it is small and very doable.  I love my new space and will continue to improve it, and make it even better.  Cookie season for Girl Scouts is about to end and my son's birthday will be a week from Sunday so I will be able to focus more on household project.  It is really hard to not feel overwhelmed when your trying to do so many things at once.  I'm just trying to take things day by day and trying not too look too far in the future, because that just adds more things to my to do list.

I hope you enjoyed looking into my space!

For previous post on the Challenge:


Thanks for those who encouraged me with words:








3 comments:

  1. Hooray! The Finish Line looks mighty fine. What a lot of work! Well done and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your hard work really shows. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete